Sunday, November 13, 2011

So...TBF moved in today. Yes, we've decided to take our relationship to the next level by officially squeezing our two lives into my one smallish apartment. So far, it's been a pretty painless transition. We've spent a lot of time together here over the past two years, and we knew we were ready to move forward. With my current school and not working situation, and his situation with his house, the choice to stay at this apartment made the most sense, financially, for the time being. Logistically, this would be a difficult time for me to move, and I don't think 18 year old Kitty would be up for a change right now either. So, here we are.

Of course, I wondered if I would freak out at all when faced with the reality of TBF's stuff. As you know, I've been on my own for a long while, and even though we've spent the majority of our time here these past couple of years, I've still been in control of this space. Making the transition from "my" to "our" is taking some time to process. Luckily, both of us have been working hard on paring down our stuff so that we can fit pretty comfortably here, and I think that's helped a lot. Overall, this move feels very right, and I'm excited and happy that we're doing it.

I can't even talk about school and practicum right now. That is its own very special brand of stress that, I must admit, I haven't handled very well lately. I will be acquiring a few therapy patients in the near future (from another therapist who is leaving the clinic soon), and I'm both excited and nervous about that. I really need and want the experience while at practicum, but I'm also concerned about effing someone up. Not to mention, it's kind of tough being a good listener for 50 minutes while attending to both your own responses and your client's feelings all at once. Know what I mean? Give it a whirl. I dare ya.

It's cold and wintery here. Kitty is back to her old tricks of holing up in her cabin in front of the heater until she gets hotboxed out. At that point, she stumbles out of her cabin and collapses on her side on the carpet a few feet away. Other times, she wanders out, stops, sits, and stares at the floor for a couple of minutes. I'm always like, Kitty! Learn to take a break BEFORE you feel like you're going to pass out.

I suppose it's no surprise to anyone that I'm a supporter of the Occupy movement. I've wanted to write about that lots, but sadly my time and energy is limited these days with school. I haven't been able to really get involved, and I'm hoping to do that soon. It's the one movement I really believe in, and it stinks that I'm not able to carve out the time to participate in the ways I'd like. But, you know, lots of people are writing and talking about it way better than I could, and I love them for it! One of the best things that's come from OWS is all the conversations happening about where we're at and where our society is heading. My favorite video on the movement is Jay Smooth's (who is the creator of another fave, How to Tell People They Sound Racist) Outing the Ringers. Check it out below! Another recent fave is this Rolling Stone piece.

The one thing that is baffling and disappointing to me, in many cases, is the media response to the Occupy movements happening around the country. Last night, my sis and I were both watching the stand off between the protesters and supports of Occupy Portland, since the camps were evicted from the parks starting at 12:01am this morning. Of course, the media was there reporting on each passing second, as hundreds of supporters flooded the streets. Instead of seeing this as an act of solidarity for the cause, or even discussing the cause at all, the media insisted on referring to the surge of participants as spectators hoping to catch a glimpse of the eviction drama. I'm like, REALLY??? They also paid an inordinate amount of camera time and discussion to the trampled grass in the park from the tent communities. It all boils down to ruined grass and people joining in for the fun of seeing people arrested. Yay.

Before I bolt, a couple of drive-by movie recommendations: 50/50 and Margin Call. Both really well done with great acting!

And, congratulations to friends Amy & Keith on the arrival of their adorable baby Oliver!


No comments: