Friday, November 18, 2011

I'm thinking about dropping my current hair person. This probably isn't surprising to anyone. ThisI feel like I'm always going through this inner conflict with hair peeps! I've been seeing this one for probably almost a year. She does a good job very quickly (I'm usually out of there in a half hour to 45 minutes), which works well for my busy grad school schedule, and her prices are reasonable. The space she works in is cool. Also, she's nice. What's not to like, right? Well. Even though I always end up liking my haircuts, I feel like she and I do not communicate well. She asks what I want, I tell her, and then I get something slightly (or majorly) different from the last time. It's like she doesn't remember my hair at all. And, she likes reality tv shows. Cons.

A few days ago, I went in for a cut, and I say how much I liked the last one. I just want to have that again, taking off no more than ONE INCH. Off we go!

(Snip-snip, snip, snip, snip-snip, snip. Snippity-snip, snip, snip. Snip.)

OK, so the end product looks pretty good from the front, maybe a little bit shorter than I'd asked for, but oh well. Then she asked me, "Do you want me to shave your neck line?"

Me: Wait. What? Do I need that?

Her: I would.

Me: Oh, um, ok. We've never done that before. Is it shorter?

Her: (shrug) Don't think so.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Neck line shaved.

Me: I like it. I just think it's quite a bit shorter than last time.

Her: Hmmmmmm.

I swipe my card through her handy-dandy iPhone gadget, and this time I decide to not be as generous with the tip. Along with the inconsistent cuts, she's isn't one for putting much time or effort into the dry and style. The funny thing is that I still ended up liking my hair. So do lots of other people. It's just short. Hair grows back so no biggie. I just feel nervous going in there, because I don't know what's going to happen to it before I come out. I wondered to myself if she purposely took off some extra length after we appeared to have a disagreement about the show Sister Wives. She's creeped out by polygamy while I'm all, "Hey, you know, it's not my thing, but people are going to do what they're going to do, so whatever. That's fine."

Snip, snip, snip-snip, snip, snip. SNIP!

No comments: