Sunday, December 05, 2010

Movies with Social Justice Themes (that I've watched)

I'm including this list of movies related to social justice that I've watched (so far) as part of my collection of project posts.

Project Posts
Intro
Part 1
Part 2
One Final Thought

I plan to continue adding to this as time goes on, and, for some, I'll write mini-reviews or comments.

Unnatural Causes
For a project in my social justice course, I decided to show In Sickness & in Wealth from Unnatural Causes to friends and coworkers and facilitate discussions on the topics presented in the hour-long segment. The documentary is a total of four hours with additional shorter segments on more specific issues. I highly recommend. It's interesting and well done, and, honestly, the post-film discussions led themselves. After my showings, I drove my classmates nuts by continuously bring up Unnatural Causes in class discussions.

I thought about posting some pieces of the reflection paper from that experience, and maybe I will at some point, but all I can say is watch it. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the film on Netflix, but I was able to easily reserve it through the public library.

We Shall Remain
The boyfriend (TBF) and I have just started watching We Shall Remain, so it's a bit early for a review. So far, although some of the acting is a bit cheesy, the historical perspective presented is fascinating and informative. This one is available through Netflix streaming. I have to say that Netflix has a wide variety of interesting documentaries available, which is really cool.

The Garden
I watched this one in a different class during autumn quarter. I'm not sure what my feelings are about this one yet. It was tough and sad.

Battle in Seattle

OK, so I'm pretty embarrassed to say I watched this one. I finally did just the other day. It was recommended recently for its depiction of the WTO protests in Seattle in 1999, but the acting and story lines are, well, cheesy beyond words. I remember seeing the previews in the theater and thinking, interesting topic but the movie looks terrible, and I was totally turned off the by the presentation of the title, BATTLE. IN. SEATTLE. (Enter random explosions and dramatic, ominous music here.) Plus, too rhymey. It was scratched off the list. But, curiosity finally won out and I hit play on the Netflix menu.

Yeah, I can't say go watch it. There are some interesting scenes and real footage from the protests, but those are few and far between. The stories of the characters are contrived and lack depth. I've seen that there are a couple of other documentaries out there, and I'm going to try to watch 30 Frames a Second soon. I did enjoy reading through The Real Battle in Seattle site after the movie, though.

OK...and this one isn't a movie but a short called How to Tell People They Sound Racist. We watched it in a couple of classes, and I like it so much that I want to share. In fact, I liked it so much that I promptly went online and watched a bunch of other Jay Smooth videos on YouTube. AND, after I made my beeline to the interwebs to find these other goodies, I then forced the boyfriend to watch them with me.

No comments: